Randolph County’s “Firsts”

  • FIRST Road in the nation west of the Mississippi River to receive Federal Recognition was the Old Military located in Randolph County.
  • FIRST Mail Route in Arkansas was along Old Military Road.
  • FIRST Post Office in Arkansas was in Randolph County located at Old Davidsonville in 1817.
  • FIRST Court House Building in Arkansas is located in Randolph County at Davidsonville in 1820.
  • FIRST Land Office was located at Davidsonville in 1820 and located in Randolph County.
  • FIRST Court in Arkansas was established on April of 1815, in Randolph County, at the home of Solomon Hewitt, located east of Spring River.
  • FIRST Trial in Arkansas was held in Randolph County between Thomas Graves and James Haddock over hogs.
  • FIRST Ferryboat in Arkansas was in Randolph County, known as Hix Ferry and began service around 1800.
  • FIRST Baptist Church in Arkansas was built in Randolph County in 1818.
  • FIRST School in Arkansas was held in a cave at Ravenden Springs in Randolph County prior to 1820.
  • FIRST Mill in Arkansas (known as DeMunn Mill) was built near the mouth of Mill Creek in 1822.
  • FIRST Masonic Lodge in Arkansas was built in Randolph County and located in Brakebill Community.
  • FIRST – Oldest Standing Home in Arkansas remains in Randolph County. Built between 1827-1928.
  • FIRST – Oldest Standing Business in Arkansas was used for a tavern and built around 1833. Located in Randolph County.