Upcoming Attractions

The City has recently acquired a vintage Missouri Pacific Railroad
caboose that will be placed on restored rails on the east side of the
old depot.  It’s hoped that a dinning car and a locomotive can be
obrtained and added in the future. (See Bob Olvey)

The 1920 Frisco Railway Depot on Highway 67 beside Black River
Overlook Park is now being restored with assistance from a highway
enhancement grant from the Arkansas Department of Transportation and
Highways.  Restoration architect, Tommy Jameson of Jameson and
Associates in Little Rock is currently completeling plans for the
restoration.  Work is expected to begin by late summer, 2012, and to
be completed by year’s end.

Once the restoration is finished, the Randolph County Tourism
Association, now housed in the 1872 Courthouse on the historic court
square, will move into the depot and open a Visitor
Information/Tourist Welcome Center in part of the structure.

Most of the building will house the E. L. Dickson Museum of
Transportation and Commerical History (named for the man whose
descendents donated the structure to the City)

Can use photos from http://www.randolphcomuseum.org/frisco_depot.htm

——

Lesmeister Guesthouse is currently under construction in a year 1902
building at 208 N Marr Street in the Pocahontas Commercial Historic
District. Featuring upscale vacation rental apartments, the guesthouse is
expected to open in late October, 2012, initially with two apartments
completed and two more apartments due for completion in 2014.

The building is being restored under National Park Service rehabilitation
guidelines and the project has been approved for federal and state rehab tax
credits to help cover part of the cost of the project. Under the guidelines,
the building exterior will be restored as closely as possible to its
original appearance, and interior spaces will also be restored to original
appearance where possible.

The building is owned by St. Charles Properties, LLC, which is owned by Dr.
Patrick Carroll.

 

—-

“The St. Charles,” featuring street-level retail space as well as a second
floor bed and breakfast accommodation and one apartment for lease, is due to
open at 104 N Bettis Street in the Pocahontas Commercial Historic District
in 2013 or early 2014. Built in 1860 as an addition to the historic St.
Charles hotel, the building is the oldest in downtown Pocahontas.

With wonderful second floor views of the 1872 Randolph County Courthouse and
court square, as well as excellent views of Black River from its rear
windows, the building will make a perfect base for enjoying downtown
Pocahontas.

The building will be restored under National Park Service rehabilitation
guidelines and the project will apply for federal and state rehab tax
credits to help cover part of the cost of the project. Under the guidelines,
the building exterior will be restored as closely as possible to its
original 1860 appearance, and interior spaces will also be restored to
original appearance where possible.

The building is owned by St. Charles Properties, LLC, which is owned by Dr.
Patrick Carroll.